PERFORMING ARTS (BTEC LEVEL 3 EXTENDED CERTIFICATE)
The performing arts are a major part of the creative and cultural industries in the UK and contributes £3.5 billion to the UK economy. The UK's creative industries have been identified as a strategic growth sector by the government. This course enables you to develop knowledge of the processes involved in creating performances, performing skills and techniques and the different types of organisations and employment opportunities in the performing arts sector.
The qualification consists of pathways which provide opportunity to study Acting, Dance and Musical theatre. The course is heavily practically based and you will benefit from a wide variety of theatre trips and extra-curricular performances.
Equivalent to 1 A level
Total units completed – 4 units
How is it assessed? 2 x units = externally assessed (1 x written exam) and 2 x units = internally assessed
What will you be learning?
The units we will cover:
2 x External Assessed Units
UNIT 1: INVESTIGATING PRACTITIONERS WORK – Mandatory
· Tasks set and marked by Pearson and completed under supervison
· Four weeks prior to the supervised assessment period, learners will be provided with the set task booklet for a four week term time period in order to carry out investigation and critical analysis
· Completed in 3 hours
· 60 marks
UNIT 3: GROUP PERFORMANCEWORKSHOP – Mandatory
· task set and marked by pearson and completed under supervised conditions
· learners will be provided a set task booklet in January in order to prepare for the development and completion of the group perofmrance and their digital process log
· the final evidence will be completed in 5 hours under supervised conditions in a number of sessions
· 60 marks
2 x Internally Assessed Units
UNIT 2:DEVELOPING SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES FOR A LIVE PERFORMANCE– Mandatory
Learners explore technical performance skills with a focus on developing skills and techniques in at least two performance styles.
OPTIONAL UNIT X 1 – choices from:
Classical Ballet Technique
Tap Dance Technique
Jazz Dance Technique
Street Dance Technique
Contemporary Dance Technique
Interpreting Classical Text for Performance
Developing the Voice for Performance
Movement in Performance
Musical Theatre Techniques
Five 9-5 grade GCSEs. GCSE drama or dance is desirable but it is not essential if you have an ability to perform and have experience of extra-curricular performance activities